Saturday, September 6, 2008

We made it!

We made it through Hurricane Gustav with minimal damage. Lost some shingles and the copper flashing thing to our chimney, but other than that we are good. Just got power about 15mins ago, so we officially went about 6 days without it. From Monday around 9:30am until Saturday at 8:30pm. All in all, not so bad, which is a good thing since Hurricane Ike is heading our way.....Of course, I have pics. I have more video and a list of things that I learned during our week without power.....It gets lengthy, but hey, it's been 6 days since I posted!....so here goes.....
Since the power went out I have learned....
Pop tarts, cracker jacks and milky way candy bars are the breakfast of champions...
I can refuel and crank a generator...
I can switch power from the refrigerator to the washing machine without blowing up either...
Just because it's air conditioned doesn't mean we are all going to get along while hanging out in the living room...
NOT getting along is Ok...
My husband rocks! While serving and helping complete strangers cut trees off their homes, he still manages to take care of us...
I can cook a nutritionally balanced meal on a 2-burner propane stove...
Hand washing dishes reminds me of the "good ol days", but makes me thankful its the past...
I am sure that CocaCola understands the importance of keeping Diet Coke on the shelves of every Prairieville store...for me and Beck!
Even a 14", non-plasma, non flat, plain ol tv is STILL a tv...
I someday just may become the solitaire champion of the world!....
If you cut up hot dogs and add them to beans, they are no longer hot dogs, it's a casserole!...
I learned I have good neighbors....
How to crank and use a chainsaw....
I learned some sign language by watching the de-briefings on tv...
That even though Wal-Mart and Starbucks are closed, the world did not stop turning...
That love bugs and mosquitos can live through anything.....
That the roar of a generator is also soothing....
That the gentle wind is God's way of letting us know he cares and it's going to be Ok....
I learned that I need to write a couple of books...A cookbook called "The power's out, what's for dinner?"...and a coffee table book called "Things I never thought I'd say to my kids." Such as, "Ok, ya'll help me watch and if it starts to rain, run and get your underwear out of the bushes!"

This is video during the height of the storm. Thank you to God that we are all safe on the other side of Hurricane Gustav.

1 comment:

Shhh! Its me! :) said...

Awww, look at my friend stuck in the storm! How cute are you! Glad to see you guys are safe and blogging! ;)