Saturday, January 12, 2008

I love Upward Sports!

You see, I coach a 1st-3rd grade girls basketball team. No, I do not have children playing, nor do I know much about the game, but I do know that God told me to volunteer to coach so I did. Funny thing. I volunteered to coach a Kindergarten or 1st grade girls cheerleading team. Got all signed up and ready. I had my cheerleader spirit and everything. God had a different plan. Two weeks before the season was to start, Kerry (Director of Sports Ministry) told me that he needed me more for basketball. While I laughed and waited for the punch line, Kerry said, "so I have you signed up to be head coach of a 1st-3rd grade girls team. You'll be great, see you on the court." Alrighty then.......
Can I tell you, it has been AMAZING! I have the most awesome team of girls! Not because they have won every game thus far by at least 16 points. Not because they listen well to instruction and follow it. Not because they are consistent with practice and believe in the team. But because they love the game and love God! These girls are so go-give! At each game, I've had at least one girl get pushed or punched but at the end of the day they say to me, "Hey Coach, that girl pushed me but I held her and followed the rules!" What? I so would have pushed the girl back, but my girls have God in their lives that they know that playing Upward Sports is not just about winning. Its about loving the Lord and showing the fans that basketball is fun and can be played with Christlikeness. Winning is just our added little bonus. I love my team! GO FEVER!

1 comment:

JESUS FREAK :) said...

Mrs. Cindy!!!
love your blog!!!
btw your life is not boring trust me.
haha love ya!!!
Emma