Saturday, August 16, 2008

Servolution 2008

We attend the absolute coolest church on the planet. Today, my offspring and I, along with about 900 of our fellow church goers put on our red "Serve" t-shirts and headed out into the streets of Baton Rouge to bless the community with stuff. All kinds of stuff. Some teams went to schools to paint, or clean up. Some went to Winbourne Avenue for a huge block party with burgers and fun. Some went to the inner city and to nursing homes and just loved on people. We basically just went out and met the people where they are. Our team, dubbed the "Mean, Green, Car-washing team" headed over to Siegen Lane to Chic-fil-A. Now let me tell you, if you are going to do any kind of outreach, Chic-fil-A would have been my pick! That, or Gambino's bakery. But....anyway, we setup an "Absolutely Free Car Wash". And that it was, absolutely free. No donations, no gimmicks, just free. Almost everyone that came tried to give us something. But, no....it's free. One lady that I remember was really nice. I went to wash the back of her car and noticed something. She had this ugly GT sticker on the back window. You guessed it. This girl was a Georgia Tech graduate! OMG! I tried to scrub it off but it was stuck. I apologized to her for not being able to get it off her window and then told her that we will keep her in our prayers... :) So another precious lady and her son came up. Here is the conversation that she and I had as she was pulling in....
Nice Lady: "How much is the car wash?"
Me: "Nothing, its free.....pull on in!"
Nice Lady smiling: "Are you taking donations?"
Me (smiling back): "No. It's free."
Nice Lady: "WILL you take donations?"
Me: "No, ma'm. It's free. Free means free."
Nice Lady: "No, usually it doesn't."
Ok, she had me there.....so I said, "You're right, but today it does."
She and her son pulled in. They got out and walked to a nearby store and did some shopping. We washed their car and when she came back she came up and asked me, "will you take a tv?" Now, this lady was good. She was going to give me something! She wanted to give me her son's tv!! (it was cool though, he was getting a new flat screen!) I laughed and told her that she could contact the church office and they would be able to assist her with the tv. She was so precious and so thankful that we blessed her with something as simple as a carwash. It was an awesome day. (even when we got half way home and realized Cj had left his shoes.) Oh well.....Thanks Lisa, for taking care of his shoes. love ya! a few pics from today....
Carly and Cara (bff's)JP giving an awesome "pep talk" (Cj thinks he is what God looks like!)A new friend outside who is ready to serve! He was so cute!Carly and two friends holding a "Free Car Wash" sign - how could you say "No" to them!?

Cj helping out with the washing....playing mostly in the water! (pre-shoe disaster!)
Check out Pastor Dino's blog for updates.......craziness in Baton Rouge while serving One.

2 comments:

JOSHUA 1:9 said...

THAT IS A GREAT STORY. I WISH I COULD DO THIS EVERY WEEKEND. I DID ADOPT-A-BLOCK AND CAUGHT A LLBIT OF THE BLOCK PARTY AS WE WHERE WALKING BACK TO WINBOURNE.

Shhh! Its me! :) said...

How cool! Love that story! ;) So hate that I had to miss it this year!!!